The Patient Flow Specialist will perform both staffing and patient placement duties. The Patient Placement duties include: providing support and assistance to the RN Administrator on Duty (AOD) for patient placement and bed management activities, coordinating with all areas of the hospital. Ensures all admissions (elective and emergent), transfers and discharges are in accordance with Billings Clinic's clinical standards and guidelines. Proactively works to ensure that patients are assigned to appropriate patient care units and facilitates patient throughput while ensuring patient safety and quality standards are adhered to. Communicates census updates and status reports to Senior Leadership and AOD for bed capacity management on a daily basis. Assists AOD with facility transfer requests. Utilizes Microsoft Excel and other computer systems to maintain census and patient placement information. The Patient Flow Specialist is responsible to coordinate the daily staffing needs within the Patient Services Division and arranges/maintains staffing for all hospital nursing units at appropriate levels. Maintains a collaborative relationship with all departments to enhance smooth functioning of the individual department and organization as a whole.
Essential Job Functions
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with the mission and philosophy of Billings Clinic and department/service.
• Coordinates the admission, discharge and transfer processes.
• Evaluates bed availability proactively through use of bed board information and monitoring real time census information.
• Supports the multiple tasks of coordinating bed assignments to meet patient needs, reduce internal transfers, and reduce barriers to unnecessary delays.
• Works with RN AOD to resolve and eliminate barriers to the placement of patients.
• Creates patient encounters in Cerner when a patient visit occurs (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Admission, Discharge & Transfer Process)
• Responsible for creation and maintenance of daily Admit Discharge Transfer (ADT) census report.
• Responsible for processing retrospective corrections that may be needed to accurately reflect ADT and census information.
• Prepares patient census comparisons of actual figures to budget. Prepares and distributes reports to appropriate areas. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, ADT Report)
• Manages the electronic staffing information system, including the day to day staff changes for all hospital inpatient units. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Electronic Staffing System)
• Coordination of language interpreter services, including transportation, education and documentation. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Language Services)
• Coordinates process for deceased patients, including tissue/organ donation, autopsy and funeral homes as required. • Ensures proper documentation. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Deceased Patient Process)
• Provide notary services. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Notary)
• Triages diverse complex situations, performing necessary investigation and research to gather pertinent data. • Initiates action as appropriate with minimal input or supervision. Formulates recommendations for review for situations outside the established guidelines and/or procedures. (Patient Service, Patient Flow, Triage Diverse Situations)
• Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic's mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
• Performs all other duties as assigned or as needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
• High school graduate or equivalent
• One year minimum experience at Billings Clinic preferred
• Demonstrated excellence in customer service skills
• Previous experience in a healthcare related environment required; unit clerk or CNA experience preferred
• Strong computer skills required, advanced Excel and database experience. Experience in Cerner or Optilink preferred
• Medical terminology course to be completed within six months of hire
Certifications and Licenses
• Notary certification to be obtained within six months of hire
Apply on company website